copywrite

© 2012 by Nicolle Howard

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Script Frenzy



On a whim I decided to sign up for Script Frenzy. After all I don't have anything better to do, work, clean house, raise the children, spend time with my hubby, complain that there's never anything good to watch on T.V.

The problem is I've never written a script before. I can write stories and articles. I went to school for that. So I started thinking about what I do like to watch. I decided that the shows I do watch have already been made.

I thought I'd try the easy way out. Do an adaptation.  I thought I'd do something based off of the Story Of Ruth in the Bible. I was discussing the idea with someone when they mentioned it was already made into a movie. This led me to a Google search and sure enough it was made into a movie in the '60s. No problem I thought. My vision is probably different from the 60s version.

A friend gave me a book to read, called Unshaken it was an adaptation of the The Story Of Ruth. I was floored because the story was how I visioned it for my script. So that leads copyright issues. Since I don't hold the copyright on the story and I don't know if I'd be able to obtain the copyright, I scrapped that project.

My new idea is something along the lines of Snow White meets The 'Burbs. I know the Snow White  has been over killed recently.  I can watch Once Upon A Time on ABC, Mirror, Mirror with Julia Roberts was just released, and Snow White and the Huntsman is scheduled to be released this summer.

I tried reworking the idea into Cinderella, it didn't work. I tried the storyline out with Sleeping Beauty it put me to sleep.  I looked through Grimm's Fairytales and nothing spoke to me. I decided to stay with the original idea of Snow White. I'm a little behind schedule but not to bad. I'm slowly catching up. Currently I'm on page 7 when I should be about page 10.

Dear Hubby is giving me a hard time. Thinks it's just another project to avoid the family. Miss R found out about it and told all of her friends that I'm making a movie. Now I feel committed to finishing the project. I don't want to let her down. She read my treatment and loves the story.

The worst part was yesterday, I was trying to write scene 2 when I wanted to scrap the whole project and start fresh. I guess I'll just have to finish this rough draft and see how it goes. If anything, it'll be a learning experience and I can say I wrote a movie.

No comments: