copywrite

© 2012 by Nicolle Howard

Saturday, January 14, 2012

What's In Your Book Bag?

 


Currently in my book bag I have... How To Write Your Personal or Family History (If You Don't Do It, Who Will?) by Katie Funk Wiebe published by Good Books; 1st edition 2009; 222 pages;

This book starts on the premise that everyone has a story to tell; discovering our stories brings meaning to our life; helps us make peace with our past; accept the life cycle with hope; and to pass on our family history, folklore, values, and wisdom.

I found the book to be informative and full of helpful hints for pulling our stories together and putting them down for others to read.

This book actually ended up in my bag due to a discussion with my mother.  Mom was telling me that my grandfather is concerned about forgetting the stories that he has been telling family members for years. There was some discussion with one of my aunts over the best way to preserve those stories. Ideas ranged from investing in an ipad so he can record them digitally ... to using dragon speak on his computer. He doesn't use the computer much any more mostly out of fear that someone will steal his personal information or he will download a virus.  I suggested to my mother that we need to keep the technology simple and something that he can easily use. Simple tape recorder with a bunch of tapes. He can than mail them to family members or I can transcribe them for him.

1 comment:

Suburban Girl said...

Definitely get those stories!! I have worked on genealogy for years and those stories add so much life and personality to the names and dates.